Friday, June 6, 2008

Mid year update

I had written this as my contribution to the family magazine, a wonderful idea proposed by cousin H in pune. Just putting it up here to enable me to keep track....

This time last year, I was congratulating myself and Eeshan on successfully completing the project marking the end of his babyhood – potty training. We had been back in the homeland for only a couple of months and were still getting used to doing things the desi way. Parth had already joined ISB and was well into the world of late night assignments, last minute projects, classes and exams. Eeshan and I were pretty much on our won and left to find new friends and things to do in the beautiful 260 acre campus in Hyderabad. We had worked out a good schedule for play and a little bit of work for Eeshan and I was determined to enjoy my new found status as housewife and more importantly, full time mother after working full time for 5 years. Little did I know that, in less than a year, the term full time mother will redefine itself for me.

So, on the 23rd day of January 2008 we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl whom we named Anika. I was in Pune with Aai and Baba and my lovely Eeshan to keep me company and Janoo from Nagpur had flown in to help us out. Things turned out very well and all of my fears about Eeshan having adjustment issues with the new baby turned out to be baseless. Now-a-days, he goes around talking about “my bab y sister” and “my kuchu muchu” – his nickname for her- all day . Baby Anika is doing well and is starting to develop a personality. She is an easy-going baby as long as she is the center of everybody’s world. Thankfully she has her doting brother and and an even-more doting father to pamper her.

Parth graduated from ISB on the 5th of April successfully fulfilling a long held desire and countless hours of tireless dedication. During the job search, he got 3 offers and decided to go with a venture capital firm based out of Hyderabad. This enabled him to put his pharmacy background and his training in finance to the best use. He is enjoying his work.

As for me, after the first two months of whirlwind activity when Anika and I were still getting to know each other, I had to tackle the mammoth job of moving into a new apt and unpacking. This chore however was made light by Parth, who had to do a lot of work himself since I always went in with two more members of the family, who weren’t necessarily productive. But a few late nights and a lot of patience later, we are all set in the apartment and are also into a good routine. I even have a couple of hours of “free” time during the day when I can sit down and think about doing something other than mothering. The issue of exercising to get rid of the pregnancy pounds and a few leftover ones from the earlier years always raises its ugly head but I have been successful at avoiding it so far. I have been experimenting a lot with my cooking and plan to codify all my results and someday have something to show for this great love of my life. Eeshan starts school soon and that will be another turning point in our family and the next update I write will start off with the first day of school for Eeshan Chakrabarti.

Till then, be well and keep in touch.


No comments: