Friday, June 1, 2007

I dare you - Most annoying habit.!

So, I was thinking the other day, (wo)man is such a creature of habit, isn't (s)he? If you analyze any one's behaviour in detail, you will find that people do not break habits. I remember a very interesting program I heard on NPR once where they were talking about why we keep listening to the same music over and over again. Why are we so averse to listening to something new? I can say from my experience that I do keep going back to my play lists. My brother, A, has tried, in vain, to introduce me to classic rock but that is one genre I haven't taken to, yet. I always go back to my western classicals and oldies -hindi and english and guitar. I guess it is about one's comfort zone. Familiar things bring with it a sense of contentment and comfort that new things don't.
Well, is it true of habits, too? Take for instance, any one annoying habit that you have wanted to change. Maybe not something as drastic as to quit smoking but something lighter. In my case, it is my consistent inability to keep things back where they belong after I am done with them. My mother tried to get me out of this habit as long as I lived with her i.e 22 years and my very organized and neat hubby has been trying for the last 9 years. I have come a long way but even now, i find myself working twice as much to clean up because the jars didn't make their way back to the kitchen shelf or the clothes are still on the bed. I used to excuse myself so far by saying that it takes longer and i am always multi-tasking since i have to do everything at home and then work. but now that the pace of life has slowed down a little, it should change my habit. Alas, it hasn't gone away completely. I catch myself throughout the day, but i still do it. I will keep at it, though and there will be a time when I will spend a whole week where every chore was completed, the first time around.
So, now that you have finished reading my sorry state, how about sharing the most annoying habit that you would like to get rid of? Go on, I dare you, spill your guts, do it anon if you want...will make for some interesting reading!

No comments: