Sunday, April 1, 2012

Travel By Stomach




        The first time I ate a burrito, I finished it for the love of my newly-wed husband, not its taste. It was my first meal in the United States and my husband was excited to share the new cuisines he had discovered.To me,  the dish was a mixture of really bland chicken and rice inside a roti made of flour. It was an abomination! No Indian worth her masala would ever eat a roti and rice in the same bite. They are the yin and yang of the Indian cuisine,to be savored separately, each with its set of specific accompaniments. It wasn't entirely my fault. Till then, I  had not tasted any food other than the vast offering of Indian cuisine and Chinese food, Indian-style!
 

    We have come a long way. Living in this cliched melting pot, we have been able to enjoy food from all over the world. Since then, two new companions, our children, have joined us. Together we have embarked on a project - to cook our way around the world, highlighting one country every week. The countries are selected randomly by our son, who also came up with the title of this project - Travel by Stomach. I have tried to select recipes that are representative of the country's cuisine and can be replicated by the home cook. This is the guidebook of our voyage and we would like to take you with us as we travel, by stomach.






4 comments:

Janhavi said...

I have always eaten roti and rice together you know! With whatever gravy there would be, of-course. And I was thankful for the burritos when I tried them :D I know m weird. hehehe

Chinmayi Deshpande said...

How I wish I lived in Chicago so I could experience some travelling by stomach with you and the kids :P Hug to Eshaan ! :D

Swapna Chakrabarti said...

Janhavi - i always knew that :)
i hope you try the recipes here, and do let me know what you think.

Swapna Chakrabarti said...

Chinmayi - just a few years more!